Personal Health Information Privacy
What is Personal Health Information?
Your personal health information is recorded information about you, your health and health care that we keep in our records, including your name, address, Personal Health Identification Number (PHIN), information about your health, health care history, the care that you have been given and payment for your health care.
What is the Personal Health Information Act (PHIA)?
The Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) was created to protect your personal health information by providing rules around the collection and use of personal health information in Manitoba.
The Personal Health Information Act specifies that you have the right to:
- Get the information you need to be an active, informed participant in your care.
- See and get a copy of your personal health information held at MCC, with limited exceptions set out in PHIA
- Ask us to make corrections to inaccurate or incomplete personal health information
- Name another person who can exercise these rights on your behalf
- Individuals may speak to a member of their health care team or with the site Privacy Officer if they want to do any of the above.
- Fees may be charged for examining personal health information and for providing copies.
Who Else Can See Your Personal Health Information?
As part of receiving or providing health care services at Mount Carmel Clinic, we collect, use and disclose your personal information and personal health information only as permitted by The Personal Health Information Act (PHIA).
PHIA permits us to collect and use your personal health information and, in certain circumstances, to share it with others both inside and outside MCC, without your consent, for purposes such as:
- Providing you with health care;
- Getting payment for your care which could include private insurers;
- Health system planning and research; and
- Reporting as required by law
- Sharing your personal health information with any health care provider who has, is, or will be providing you with health care. If you tell us not to share your information with a specific health care provider, we will not share your information with that provider unless permitted or required by law to do so
All employees and those associated with Mount Carmel Clinic are required to protect the accuracy, integrity and security of your information, and are required to sign a pledge of confidentiality. Mount Carmel Clinic has policies and procedures that provide protection of your information and conducts continued training to employees.
How to Request a Copy of Your Personal Health Information
Complete the Request to Access Personal Health Information Form and send to the privacy officer at the contact information provided below.
How to Request a Correction to Your Personal Health Information:
Complete the MCC Request to Correct Personal Health Information Form and send it to the privacy officer at the contact information provided below.
To File a Complaint about Access to or Privacy of Your Personal Health Information:
We suggest that you first try to resolve any complaint about access to or privacy of your personal health information directly with the site. If you are still not satisfied that your complaint has been resolved, you have the right to complain to the Manitoba Ombudsman, an independent authority who can investigate your complaint.
Please be advised it is your responsibility to ensure that the content you are using and acting upon is the most up to date. At any given time the most current version of the Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) will be deemed to apply.