Position: Peer Outreach Worker – Sage House
Classification: Community Outreach Worker
Salary Range: $23,082.34 – $26,758.87 annually
Job Posting No: 2019-09
Date: February 8, 2019
Closing Date: February 19, 2019
Status: Part Time (0.55 EFT) – Term Ending March 31, 2021
Department: Community Services
Reports to: Program Manager – Sage House
Hours of Work: 20.5 hours per week*
*Note: The hours of work for this position may vary based on the department’s operational requirements, which will include Friday evening shifts.
*There are four (4) open vacancies in this position.
Sage House is a non-judgmental space for street involved sex workers. We foster an environment of safety, pro-choice, and acceptance with a focus on health accessibility. We recognize that our participants come to us with a variety of complex needs and gifts, therefore we respond with cultural safety, an open door and an emphasis on human rights using a strength based approach. We never lose sight of our participant’s needs and voices and therefore we inclusively advocate with them to support their lives direction.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Peer Outreach Worker will offer early intervention for women involved in the sex trade through empathic first response street level engagement through outreach services. The worker will also provide referrals and transitions to other services, continue to build/consolidate partnerships with a wide variety of stakeholders, and provide preventative activities such as education in the community. The worker will also be expected to staff drop in, and attend all program and departmental staff meetings and relevant Mount Carmel Clinic committees. In addition, the incumbent will be required to perform household duties on a rotating or as needed basis. This includes but is not limited to laundry services, food preparation, and cleaning.
Due to the nature of this position, it is a bona fide requirement that the successful candidate must identify as a woman and as experiential in street outreach, sex trade and/or exploitation.
- Undergraduate degree in the social sciences (e.g. social work, sociology, criminology, women’s studies or conflict resolution) would be an asset. However, a combination of education (including current enrollment in relevant studies) and experience in street outreach work, including personal experience with sex trade work, is comparable to purely academic qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated professional, volunteer, peer or participant experience in one or more of the following is required:
- Harm reduction
- Street outreach
- Crisis intervention
- Sexual assault/domestic violence
- Peer mentorship
- Healing circles or other women’s counselling program
- Able to work in a multi-disciplinary environment with respect, professionalism, co-operation, sensitivity and cultural awareness
- Adaptable to changing demands in workload
- Able and willing to negotiate/mediate conflict and to respond to participants who do not demonstrate respect towards other participants, staff or Sage House property
- An active listener who is able to translate perceived problems into opportunities for development
- Ability to be assertive and confident
- Ability to multi-task while remaining calm, nonjudgmental and positive
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, assessment and intervention skills
- Be comfortable working within a team environment and act decisively in a timely manner when required
- Able to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays is required
This position is subject to Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry checks in accordance with Security Checks Policy and Procedures.
Mount Carmel Clinic has undertaken to increase responsiveness to Indigenous people by promoting a workforce that is representative of its participant population. Applicants are encouraged to self-declare in their cover letter or resumé.
Please submit Internal Application Form or resume and cover letter quoting job posting #2019-09 to:
Mount Carmel Clinic
886 Main Street
Winnipeg, MB R2W 5L4
Fax # 204-582-4733
To be properly considered for a position, both the posting number and job title to which you are applying, must appear in the subject line of your email
We thank all applicants; however only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Mount Carmel Clinic is an Equal Opportunity Employer